Weird and Wacky Tennis Facts to Impress Your Friends
You may be the world’s biggest tennis fan or just a lover of obscure trivia… no matter which, here are a few odd facts about tennis that you can share to enlighten friends, family and maybe even your favorite expert tennis coach!
- Under regulation scoring, a tennis set will never have a score of 6-5
- The Wimbledon trophy is topped with a pineapple
- Calling a diamond bracelet a “tennis bracelet” was coined when Chris Evert lost hers on the court at the 1987 US Open
- Cotton polo shirts debuted as tennis apparel
- The first shoe designed for playing tennis was the Adidas “Stan Smith”, though the name came several years later)
- In 1968, the Wilson T2000 was the first racket that was not made of wood
- It is legal to hit a tennis ball around the net
- A ball that bounces off the netpost is live
- Tennis courts are generally oriented north-south
If you want to enjoy more tennis, check out your neighborhood tennis courts or the best sports club you can find locally, such as Zayed Sports Academy in Abu Dhabi.